Tooth infection is a form of health disease that can affect humans’ performance adversely. It also happens to be a health condition no one wishes to experience due to the pain it attracts. Likewise, those who have experienced it never want to experience it again. Why is this you may ask? This is because any form of tooth infection, irrespective of how small it may be, always comes with some level of pain. Furthermore, the fact that our teeth have highly sensitive nerves and this can make a slight tooth infection or injury seems like a big issue.
However, recent medical advancement now offers various ways of managing health ailment. More importantly, it’s now easy to access remedial information whenever a tooth infection symptom arises. Nonetheless, at this point, it becomes vital to shed some light on important tooth infection signs. Without doubts, this will enable you to take necessary remedial steps before the condition gets out of hand.
You can get more information about our root canal and fillings services.
Possible tooth infection symptoms
Tooth infections occur in a small section of the body, which is the mouth. And it attracts various forms of symptoms that might mislead you into thinking the issue is not from your teeth. So, here are some of tooth infection symptoms to look out for:
- Throbbing sensation in the tooth
- Painful sensation in the neck or neck
- Swelling in the check
- Swollen or red gums
- Bad breath
- Difficulty in chewing due to pain
- Experiencing bitter taste
- Difficulty in swallowing
- Fever (often occur when the infection in unattended to for some time)
- Bleeding gums
You however need to know that symptoms associated to tooth infection are not limited to the above. Findings show that if toothache infection continues without necessary medical attention, it may end up spreading. And the resultant effect of this may lead to vomiting and nausea among others. Having gotten a glimpse of tooth infection signs, it becomes necessary to shed light on its causes. At least, this will help guide in some ways against future occurrence.
What are the possible causes of infections?
Several findings show the makeup of our teeth comes with different compositions. Despite having a solid outlook, the human tooth still comes with a softer section underneath. And this includes nerves, blood vessels and as well as the tissue that aids connectivity. However, the emergence of tooth infection occurs when these sections of the tooth are infected. Below are possible causes of tooth infections:
- Tooth decay
- Tooth injury
- Gum disease which is also known as periodental disease or gingivitis.
- Lack of vitamins and minerals that strengthens the tooth i.e. Calcium, Vitamin D, and phosphorous among others
- Poor oral hygiene
Also, not washing the mouth as required can also lead to the pileup of gem that can cause need tooth infections. However, any delay in seeking proper treatment can further result in a more severe and visible infection known as an abscess.
How long can a tooth infection go untreated?
Some individual must have asked this question at some point. “How long can a tooth infection go untreated”? You need to know that an infection like tooth abscess among others, react differently to different individuals. You might not be able to determine this, but, checking with a dentist for appropriate diagnoses might give you a glimpse. However, it is always advisable to seek medical treatment as soon as possible. Likewise, the laid out tooth infection symptoms above will also help in early detection of any form of tooth infection.
Effective Treatment for tooth infection
Some people often make the mistake of delaying dental-related treatments. Though, some may give reasons for financial constraints, while others may be too busy to go to a dentist. Note that, the more the infection stays untreated, the more the condition gets worse. And with time, it will start affecting one’s health and performance. On the other hand, here are suitable ways of treating any form of tooth infections:
- Antibiotics: When it comes to treating tooth infection, antibiotics has proven to be a suitable and easily access remedy compared to others. Also, there are various types of tooth infection antibiotic, and some of them include Amoxicillin, Penicillin, as well as Clindamycin. The application of specific tooth infection antibiotics depend on the type of infection. Likewise, one’s susceptibility to allergies is a reason to involve relevant professionals to advise on the right antibiotics to use.
- Root Canal treatment: This process entails the involvement of an endodentist which will carry out some level of surgical means to get rid of infections.
- Draining of the Abscess: This process involves draining the pus after cutting the abscess. Then the affected section will be cleansed with required liquid solution such as saline.
- Tooth Extraction: Some levels of infection require that the affected tooth or teeth be removed for ease of rectifying the damage done by the infection.
However, some of these procedures require local anaesthetic or general anaesthetic to be used. These help in making the gums go numb and also making the patient sleep during the procedure without feeling any pain. Furthermore, to take care of inflammation that may be affecting the patient, some over-the-counter drugs like aspirin or Ibuprofen can come in handy.
Aside from the above, there are also various home remedies that can help with a tooth infection. And these include rinsing your mouth with salt water and cold compress. Likewise, the application of oregano, clove oil, thyme oil and fenugreek tea to the affected areas can also help.
Having relevant information regarding one’s health condition often comes with its benefits. In like manner, information contained in this piece, such as tooth infection symptoms, causes, and suitable treatment will give you a better chance of recovery regarding tooth infection. Though, it is vital to share some precaution with you, which will further help when it comes to preventing and treating tooth infection.
- Don’t delay in seeking medical treatment immediately you sense tooth infection symptoms.
- Irrespective of how simple the application of antibiotics tooth treatment might be, you must still avoid self-medication.
- When tooth infection antibiotic is prescribed, you must stick to its use throughout the specified period. This is because stopping its usage before required time might make the tooth infection come back stronger.
- Ensure you carry out periodic dental check even when nothing seem to be wrong.
- When seeking dental related-treatment, only indulge the service of qualified health professionals.
- When it comes to using a home remedy for tooth treatment, confirm that the composition is not what will affect your health adversely.
Personal tips in preventing tooth infection
- Always brush every section of your mouth daily. And this includes your tongue, tooth, and gums among others.
- Ensure fluoride is among your toothpaste ingredients.
- Reduce the intake of sugary substances.
- Brush before going to bed at night. It helps a lot.
- Make yourself available for regular dental check-up. This can help detect tooth infection early.
- Floss once in a day to remove food particle and plague where toothbrush can’t reach.
Note that the ways of preventing tooth infection are not limited to the above. There are also situations where one can find it difficult to reduce the intake of sugary substances. But, what matter most is the over oral hygiene that is in place. And for you to have the best fortification against any form of tooth infection, you need to make the practice of oral hygiene a continuous and consistent routine.
If you are looking for an easy and painless tooth extraction process, you need our affordable tooth removal dentistry by Dr Navabi, best dentist in Columbia, Elliott city, Baltimore, Annapolis and etc. To Book appointment online click here: