Tooth sensitivity is very common problem among various dental issues. According to different researches, the ratio of patients having very sensitive tooth is the 50% of the population. It is much popular among old people whose teeth become weaker over the years. Every fourth person among five old people is dealing with the tooth sensitivity problem. Tooth sensitivity is also called as root sensitivity or dentin hypersensitivity in medical terms. This disease involves the very sensitive tooth; in other case, number of teeth becomes much sensitive towards hot or cold items. The patient has to have a tooth sensitive to cold and hot.
There are many reasons of very sensitive tooth. One of the major reasons of very sensitive tooth is the removal of the upper layer (enamel) and exposure of the inner layer (dentin) of tooth which makes the tooth sensitive to cold and hot. Enamel can be affected by the excessive usage of acidic drinks or cold carbonated drinks. There are many mouthwashes in the market having high amount of hydrogen peroxide; excessive usage of them weakens the upper layer of tooth. Some people brush their teeth with hard brushes and floss their teeth with much power which leads to the weak enamel and very sensitive tooth. Some gum problems cause the tooth sensitivity.
You may like this post about gum disease :
Due to some infection or accident, if the tooth gum is highly recessed then the roots of teeth become visible which causes the tooth sensitive to cold and hot. Some people have bad habit of grinding their teeth at night or nail biting. Both of these habits affect the enamel of teeth which leads to exposed dentin. There are some sensitive teeth symptoms to check the tooth sensitivity. Fortunately, there exists a tooth sensitivity treatment which needs to be understood well. Let’s discuss sensitive teeth symptoms, the tooth sensitivity, prevention techniques and tooth sensitivity treatment.
There are many sensitive teeth symptoms. Most common sensitive teeth symptoms are listed below :
- You may feel disturbance after blowing in the cold air.
- You may feel pain while having cold and hot eatables like ice-cream or coffee.
- You may not be able to chew from the affected side of mouth where the very sensitive tooth exists.
- You may feel excessive pain after having some specific dishes like rice and sweet dish.
Following proper oral hygiene habits can prevent the tooth sensitivity :
- You should brush your teeth twice a day.
- You should regularly floss your teeth after each meal.
- You must stop eating acidic foods because they have negative effect on your tooth enamel. The most common acidic foods are oranges, lemons and grapefruits etc. These eatables contain the high amount of citric acid which is much dangerous for the tooth enamel. It continuously softens the enamel and leads to dentin exposure.
- You have to be sure to clean the whole mouth including the border lines of teeth and gums. You can use specialized magnetic toothbrushes for this purpose.
- Don’t use alcoholic products and don’t chew tobacco or other narcotics.
- Stop showing heroics. Don’t open the bottle cans with your mouth, don’t crack the dry fruits with your teeth. Stop using excessive amounts of ice cubes.
Tooth sensitivity treatment depends on the cause, nature and condition of the sensitive tooth. The ultimate reason of the very sensitive tooth is the exposure of dentin of the teeth. Either it is due to removal of enamel or the excessive recession of the gums which makes the tooth sensitive to cold and hot. It can also be done by the tooth decay. Specific tooth sensitive treatment for a specific patient is different. It depends on the major cause of the tooth sensitivity. There are two major types of tooth sensitivity treatment. One can be done in home while the other case includes some dental professional surgical treatment. Let’s first discuss the tooth sensitive treatment at home. It is usually done when an average healthy person suddenly begins to feel his tooth sensitive to cold and hot. For such normal case, following home remedies can be used.
- Change the toothbrush; buy a new softer brush for very sensitive tooth. The most recommended toothbrush for the sensitive teeth is the bristled toothbrush. It helps the tooth gum and the teeth border lines.
- Stop using much acidic foods.
- Don’t use much acidic mouthwashes.
- Use Fluoride rinses.
- Use recommended toothpaste having high amount of fluoride.
- Don’t use brush if your dentin in much exposed and your gums are dealing with much recession. Apply toothpaste on your teeth with finger instead.
- Take proper recommendation from professional dentist for a proper mouthwash or toothpaste which can soothe the nerves of tooth endings.
Advanced tooth sensitivity treatment
Colored bonding Agent
Tooth sensitive to cold and hot are due to exposure of the inner layer of teeth which is called dentin. It happens when the upper layer, enamel, is demolished. So, the colored bonding agent is a material that sticks with the teeth to avoid the hot and cold items cause any sensitivity. It works as fake enamel coated on the teeth.
Fluoride strengthens the teeth. The customized mouth-trays are filled with Fluoride and then wore to strengthen the teeth. This process can be done within 3 minutes.
Blocking dentine tubules
Dentine tubules have much small pores which become much sensitive to air. These pores are blocked in a small surgical method. These pores are normally blocked or filled by Fluoride.
If you have tooth sensitive to cold and hot due to minimal amount of tooth gum then you can go for gum graft. Gum graft surgery is a kind of patching procedure. The surgeon takes small amount of gum from the sideways and put them on the desired space that belongs to sensitive tooth. This procedure is much risky so, always consult for some specialists before going for gum graft.
You can also check other treatments to select the most feasible tooth sensitivity treatment for yourself.